Faculty Assessment, Policies, & Committees
Mission and Learning Goals
The Department of Animal and Food Science is committed to provide education, service and leadership for regional, national and international stakeholders through development, integration and dissemination of knowledge of animals used for food, fiber, companion, and recreational purposes; and for safe, responsible, ecologically sustainable, and competitive food production.
Learning Goals for the ANFS Curriculum
- Students will demonstrate oral communication skills important for communicating scientific ideas. (Communications Goal)
- Students will demonstrate written communication skills important for communicating scientific ideas. (Communications Goal)
- Students will use critical thinking and reasoning, skeptical inquiry and scientific approach to solve problems. (Critical Thinking Goal)
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the major core concepts in the animal and food sciences. (Content Goal)
Peer review of the teaching process can:
- Improve the quality of teaching and learning through open discussion and systematic critique
- Help cultivate a collegial atmosphere through dialogue about common issues of concern
- Provide a more comprehensive evaluation of teaching by examining aspects not covered by student evaluations
- Provide data for promotion and appraisal purposes
The process can be requested by the department chair and /or a faculty member at any time in his/her career, however the results of the observation and assessment are shared only between the observers and the faculty member, unless the faculty member chooses otherwise. The process is a three step process and is outlined in more detail in the attached document.
Membership of the two standing committees in ANFS for the 2013- 2014 academic year (effective immediately). Thanks to those faculty who rotated off committee assignments this year and thanks to the faculty below for serving ANFS.
- ANFS Promotion and Tenure Committee
Election Results for 2014 – 2015
Carl Schmidt (Chair)
- ANFS Courses and Curriculum Committee
Kali Kniel (Chair)
- ANFS Graduate Advisory Committee
Mark Parcells (Chair)