- Ph.D. – Plant Protection, University of Delaware, Spring 2005.
Dissertation: Enhancing Delaware Highways: A Natural Vegetation Project.
- M.S. – Ornamental Horticulture, North Carolina State University, GPA – 4.0, July 1984. Thesis: Influence of Temperature, Stratification, Light and Media on Germination of Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum (L) DC.)
- B.S. – Plant Science, University of Delaware, Summa Cum Laude, May 1981
- PLSC 100 – Plants and Human Culture
- PLSC 267 – Farm to Table
- PLSC 364 – Landscape Horticulture Internship
- PLSC 403 – Nursery and Garden Center Management
- Roadside Vegetation Management (Enhancing Delaware Highways and management of vegetation under guardrails)
- Promoting Sustainable Landscapes (Plants for a Livable Delaware)
- Water quality and ecosystem services from landscape best management practices that enhance vegetation in urbanizing watersheds. (Sustainable Landscape Demonstration at Applecross)
- Extension Specialist for Ornamental Horticulture
- Industry Meetings – Delaware Horticulture Industry Expo, Summer Landscape Expo, Ornamentals Research Expo, Ornamental and Turf Workshop, Industry Short Courses
- Newsletters – Ornamentals Hotline, DNLA News
Palma, M.A., C.R. Hall, B. Campbell, H. Khachatryan, B.Behe and S. Barton. 2012. Measuring the Effects of Firm Promotion Expenditures on Green Industry Sales. J. Environ. Hort. 30(2):83-88. June 2012.
Saksa K, T. Ilvento and S. Barton. 2012. Interpretation of Sustainable Landscapes Affects Student Perception of Sustainable Landscape Features. HortTechnology 22(3):402-409. June 2012.
Lucey, A.K and S.S. Barton. 2011. Influencing Public Perception of Sustainable Roadside Vegetation Management Strategies. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 29(3):119-124.
Barton, S.S., R.S. Pineo and L.J. Carter. 2010. Implementing Sustainable Practices on Campus through Student Independent Study. HortTechnology, June 2010 20(3):495-498.
H. M. Mathers, A. Acuna, D. Long, B. K. Behe, A. W. Hodges, J. J. Haydu, U. K. Schuch, S. S.Barton, J. H. Dennis, B. K. Maynard, C. R. Hall, , R. McNeil, T. Archer. 2010. Nursery Worker Turnover and Language Proficiency. HortScience 45 (1):71-77.
Barton, S.S. 2009. Green’s Invasive Plant Dilemma. University of Delaware PBL Clearinghouse.
Barton, S.S., J Bruck, C. Nelson. 2009. Exploring Ways to Enhance Student Learning During Study Abroad: Landscape Exploration of Brazil. HortTechnology 19(2):459-464.
Barton, S.S., G. Schwetz, S. Deacle and D. Tallamy. 2007. Livable Plants for the Home Landscape.
Kinsely, C. B. Rohrer and S. Barton. 2006. Water Quality Best Management Practices: Nutrients, Irrigation and Pesticides for Golf Course, Athletic Turf, Lawn Care and Landscape Industries. Delaware Nutrient Management Commission.
Barton, S.S., Darke, R. Schwetz, G. 2005. Scenic Stewardship: A Plan to Preserve and Enhance the Landscape of the Brandywine Valley Scenic Byway. Delaware Greenways.
Barton, S.S., Darke, R. Schwetz, G. 2005. Planning and Concept Manual. Delaware Department of Transportation.
Harrod, J., S. Barton and G. Schwetz. 2005. Controlling Backyard Invaders.
Barton, S.S and G. Schwetz. 2004. Plants for a Livable Delaware.
Selmer, J.C., K.M. Kelley, S. Barton and D.J. Suchanic. 2003. Assessing Consumer Knowledge and Use of Landscape Plant Health Care and Integrated Pest Management Practices through a computer-based Interactive Survey. HortTechnology 13(3): 556-561.
Hardy, J. and B.K. Behe, S.S. Barton, T.J. Page, R.E. Schutzki, K.Muzii, R.T. Fernandez, M.T. Haque, J. Brooker, C.R. Hall, R. Hinson, P. Knight, R. McNiel, D.R. Rowe and C. Safley. 2000. Consumers Preferences for Plant Size, Type of Material and Design Sophistication in Residential Landscaping. J. Environ. Hort. 18(4):224-229.
Barton, S.S., Haydu, J.J., Hinson, R.A., McNiel, R.E., Phillips, T.D., Powell, R.D. and Stegelin, F.E. 2002. Establishing and Operating a Garden Center: Requirements and Costs. NRAES-161 2002 Revision.
Behe, B. and S. Barton. 2000. Consumer Perceptions of Product and Service Quality Attributes in Six U.S. States. J.Environ. Hort. 18(2):71-78. June 2000.