Marlene G. Emara, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. Poultry Science, Ohio State University, 1991
- M.S. Immunobiology, Iowa State University, 1987
- B.S. Poultry Science, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon,Canada, 1985
- ANSC 637 Avian Immunology
- The long-term goal of this laboratory is to understand the mechanisms that regulate the immune response of broiler chickens to avian pathogens. Our research emphasizes the major histocompatibility complex (MHC), a gene complex whose products restrict T-lymphocyte recognition of foreign antigens. The genetics of the MHC are characterized by Southern blot analysis, as well as direct cloning and sequencing of MHC genes. Current projects focus on development of typing methods for identifying MHC genotypes and/or phenotypes in broiler chickens. Future experiments will examine the role of the MHC in genetic resistance of broiler chickens to such diseases as Marek's disease and coccidiosis.
Emara, M. G. and H. S. Kurtas. Use of LEI0258 and MCW0371 microsatellite loci for genotyping MHC haplotypes in broiler chickens. Poultry Science journal – paper was reviewed and a revised manuscript with suggested additions was invited (see above).
Kim, S., and M.G. Emara. Identification and characterization of Chicken S‐Phase Kinase Associated Protein 2 (SKP‐2). Manuscript in preparation.
Kim, S., M. Parcells, and M.G. Emara. Evaluation of chicken P27Kip1 interaction with meq during MDV-induced transformation. Immunoprecipitation experiments need to be completed and manuscript completed.
Schmidt, R. J., M. G. Emara, and L. Kung, Jr. 2008. The use of a quantitative real‐time polymerase chain reaction assay for identification and enumeration of Lactobacillus buchneri in silage. J. Applied Microbiol. 105:920‐929.
Bliss, T. W., J. E. Dohms, M. G. Emara, and C. L. Keeler, Jr. 2005. Gene expression profiling of avian macrophage activation. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 105:289-99.
Kim, H., C. J. Schmidt, K. S. Decker, and M. G. Emara. 2003. A double-screening method to identify reliable candidate non-synonymous SNPs from chicken EST data. Anim Genet. 34:249-54.
Emara, M. G., and H. Kim. 2003 Genetic markers and their application in poultry breeding. Poult Sci. 82:952-7.
Zhu, J. J., H. S. Lillehoj, P. C. Allen, C. P. Van Tassell, T. S. Sonstegard, H. H. Cheng, D. Pollock, M. Sadjadi, W. Min, and M. G. Emara. 2003. Mapping quantitative trait loci associated with resistance to coccidiosis and growth. Poult Sci. 82:9-16.