- Ph.D. Soil Microbiology, North Carolina State University
- M.S. Forest Soil Microbiology, North Carolina State University
- B.S. Forest Science, Humboldt State University
- PLSC619 Soil Microbiology
- PLSC819 Ecological Soil Microbiology
- Soil and Environmental Microbiology: Ecology and diversity of microbial populations in soil-plant systems; microbial community responses to environmental perturbations; effects of soil-borne viruses on microbial communities; symbiotic nitrogen fixation.
- Ecology of Soil Microorganisms
- Plant-Microbe Interactions
- Nitrogen Fixation
- Nutrient Cycling in Soils
- Biodiversity of Soil and Root Microorganisms
- Member – Soil Science Society of America
- Member – American Society for Microbiology
- Member – American Society of Agronomy
- Member – Phi Kappa Phi
Books and Chapters
Sylvia, D.M., J.J. Fuhrmann, P.G. Hartel, and D.A. Zuberer (ed). 2005. Principles and applications of soil microbiology. 2 nd. Ed. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. (textbook)
Fuhrmann, J.J. 2005. Microbial metabolism, p.54-84. In: D.M. Sylvia et al. (ed.), Principles and applications of soil microbiology. 2 nd. Ed. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. (textbook chapter)
Fuhrmann, J. J. 1994. Isolation of soil microorganisms producing antibiotic compounds. pp. 379-405. IN: R. W. Weaver et al. (eds.), Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2, Microbiological and Biochemical Properties. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin.
Fuhrmann, J. J. 1993. Population diversity groupings of soybean bradyrhizobia. Adv. Agron. 50:67-105.
Sojka, R.E., J.A. Entry, and J.J. Fuhrmann. 2006. The influence of high application rates of polyacrylamide on microbial metabolic potential in an agricultural soil. Appl. Soil Ecol. 24: 243-252.
Entry, J.A., J.J. Fuhrmann, R.E. Sojka, and G.E. Shewmaker. 2004. Influence of irrigated agriculture on soil carbon and microbial community structure. Environ. Manage. 33:S363-S373.
Vasilas, B., L. Vasilas, J. Thompson, A. Rizzo, J. Fuhrmann, T. Evans, J. Pesek, and K. Kunkle. 2004. Ectomycorrhizal mantles as indicators of hydrology for jurisdictional wetland determinations. Wetlands 24:784-795.
Myoda, S.P., C.A. Carson, J.J. Fuhrmann, B.-K. Hahm, P.G. Hartel, H. Yampara-Iquise, L. Johnson, R.L. Kuntz, C.H. Nakatsu, M.J. Sadowsky, and M. Samadpour. 2004. Comparison of genotypic-based microbial source tracking methods requiring a host origin database. J. Water Health 1:167-180.