- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin – Madison, 1998
- M.S., University of Rochester, 1994
- B.A., University of Vermont, 1992
- APEC/ECON343 Environmental Economics
- APEC/LEST450 Environmental Law
- Land Use, Natural Resource and Environmental Economics, Law and Economics, Property Rights
- Associate Editor, Water Resources Research
- President, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association
- Editor (with JunJie Wu), The Oxford Handbook of Land Economics
- Water Science and Policy, Program Committee
- Advisory Panel on Nutrient Trading, Chesapeake Bay Commission
- Council of Fellows, Delaware Environmental Institute
- Distinguished Member, Northeastern Agric. and Res. Econ. Assoc.
- Editorial Board, Land Economics
Current Sponsored Research
- NSF-WSC-I, Water Sustainability in Coastal Environments: Exploratory Research for an Integrated Study of the Effect of Anticipated Sea Level Rise on Contaminated Site Risk
- Duke (PI), Sparks, Michael, Messer (Co-PIs)
- USDA-National Integrated Water Quality Program, Water Quality and Ecosystem Services from Landscape Best Management Practices that Enhance Vegetation in Urbanizing Watersheds
- S. Inamdar (PI), D. Tallamy, J. Bruck, S. Barton, J. Duke (Co-PIs), 2/2012-1/2015
- NSF, Collaborative Research: An Experimental Economics Investigation of Groundwater Resource Dynamics
- J. Suter (PI), K. Messer, H. Michael, J. Duke (co-PIs), 2010-12
- Delaware Environmental Institute, An Economic Analysis of the Visual Effects of Offshore Wind Projects
- K. Messer (PI), J. Duke, G. Parsons, J. Johnson (co-PIs), 2011-14
- USDA, AFRI, Understanding the Appreciation of Preserved Farmland Values and Evaluating Policies to Enhance Farmers’ Access to Preserved Farms.
- B.J. Schilling (PD); Project Leaders (Co-PIs): J.M. Duke, J.D. Esseks, L. Lynch; Senior Personnel (Co-PIs): P.D. Gottlieb, L.J. Marxen, K.P. Sullivan, 2009-14.
- The Oxford Handbook of Land Economics, ed.Joshua M. Duke and JunJie Wu. 2014. New York: The Oxford University Press. 735 pages with 28 chapters by leading scholars in land economics.
- Joshua M. Duke and JunJie Wu. 2014. Land as an integrating theme in economics. In The Oxford Handbook of Land Economics, ed.J.M. Duke and J. Wu. New York: Oxford University Press, 1-19.
- Joshua M. Duke and JunJie Wu. 2014. Future research directions in land economics. In The Oxford Handbook of Land Economics, ed.J.M. Duke and J. Wu. New York: Oxford University Press, 723-35.
- Joshua M. Duke. 2014. Eminent domain and the land assembly problem. In The Oxford Handbook of Land Economics, ed.J.M. Duke and J. Wu. New York: Oxford University Press, 698-722.
- Messer, Kent D., Joshua M. Duke, and Lori Lynch. 2014. Applying experiments to land economics: Public information and auction efficiency in ecosystem service markets. In The Oxford Handbook of Land Economics, ed.J.M. Duke and J. Wu. New York: Oxford University Press, 481-510.
- Duke, Joshua M. 2013. Property rights and the environment. Pp 75-79 in Volume 3 of Encyclopedia of Energy, Natural Resources, and Environment, ed. Jason Shogren. This chapter is also published in Elsevier’s Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences, which is available on-line.
- Schilling, Brian J., Kevin P. Sullivan, and Joshua M. Duke. 2013. Do residual development options increase preserved farmland values? Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 38(3):1-17.
- Popkin, Jennifer H., Joshua M. Duke, Allison M. Borchers, Thomas Ilvento. 2013. Social costs from proximity to hydraulic fracturing in New York State. Energy Policy. 62:62-69.
- Miller, Kate, and Joshua M. Duke. 2013. Additionality and water quality trading: Institutional analysis of nutrient trading in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Georgetown International Environmental Law Review. Vol. 25(4):521-47.
- Duke, Joshua M., Steven J. Dundas, Kent D. Messer. 2013. Cost-effective conservation planning: Lessons from economics. Journal of Environmental Management 125:126-133.
- Arnold, Michael A., Joshua M. Duke, and Kent D. Messer. 2013. Adverse selection in reverse auctions for ecosystem services. Land Economics 89(3):387-412. (Senior authorship shared).
- Suter, Jordan F., Joshua M. Duke, Kent D. Messer, and Holly A. Michael. 2012. Behavior in a spatially-explicit groundwater resource: Evidence from the lab. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(5):1094-1112.
- Duke, Joshua M., Allison M. Borchers, Robert J. Johnston, and Sarah Absetz. 2012. Sustainable agricultural management contracts: Using choice experiments to estimate the benefits of land preservation and conservation practices. Ecological Economics 74:95-103.
- Borchers, Allison M. and Joshua M. Duke. 2012. Capitalization and proximity to agricultural and natural lands: Evidence from Delaware. Journal of Environmental Management 99:110-117.