- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin – Madison, 1998
- M.S., University of Rochester, 1994
- B.A., University of Vermont, 1992
- APEC/ECON343 Environmental Economics
- APEC/LEST450 Environmental Law
- Land Use, Natural Resource and Environmental Economics, Law and Economics, Property Rights
- Associate Editor, Water Resources Research
- President, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association
- Editor (with JunJie Wu), The Oxford Handbook of Land Economics
- Water Science and Policy, Program Committee
- Advisory Panel on Nutrient Trading, Chesapeake Bay Commission
- Council of Fellows, Delaware Environmental Institute
- Distinguished Member, Northeastern Agric. and Res. Econ. Assoc.
- Editorial Board, Land Economics
Current Sponsored Research
Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
- 2015 – 2016
- Public Acceptability and Land Value Taxation: An Experimental Economics Investigation, $23,000
- J. Duke (PD)
U.S. Department of Agriculture
- AFRI, 2016 – 2019
- Targeted Conservation Contracts to Enhance Agricultural Best Management Practices: Incorporating Heterogeneity and Predicting Additionality, $498,434
- J. Duke (PD), A. Shober, R. Johnston (Co-PDs)
U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Agricultural Marketing Service, FSMIP, Sept 30, 2015 – Sept 29, 2017
- The Effect of Preservation Labeling on Local Food Marketing Premiums, $87,261 (with additional 1:1 match)
- J. Duke (PD), J. Bernard (Co-PD)
Duke, Joshua M., Brian J. Schilling, Kevin P. Sullivan, J. Dixon Esseks, Paul D. Gottlieb, and Lori Lynch. 2016. Illiquid Capital: Are Conservation Easement Payments Reinvested in Farms? Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy. doi:10.1093/aepp/ppw016
Duke, Joshua M., Jules Bruck, Susan Barton, Megan Murray, Shreeram Inamdar, and Douglas W. Tallamy. 2016. Public preferences for ecosystem services on exurban landscapes: A case study from the mid-Atlantic, USA. Heliyon 2(7): e00127 (pp1-27). Open access available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2016.e00127.
Duke, Joshua M., and Ben Attia. 2015. Negotiated solar rights conflict resolution: A comparative institutional analysis of public and private processes. Journal of Environmental & Sustainability Law. 22(1):1-52.
Bachman, Matthew, Shreeram Inamdar, Sue Barton, Joshua M. Duke, Doug Tallamy, Jules Bruck. A watershed scale assessment of the impacts of suburban turf management on runoff water quality. Journal of American Water Resources Association, 52(2):397-408.
Fooks, Jacob, Nathaniel Higgins, Kent D. Messer, Joshua M. Duke, Daniel Hellerstein, and Lori Lynch. Forthcoming. Conserving spatially explicit benefits in ecosystem service markets: Lab and artefactual field tests of network bonuses and spatial targeting. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 98(2):468-88.
Duke, Joshua M., Steven J. Dundas, Robert J. Johnston, and Kent D. Messer. 2015. The effect of spatial interdependencies on prioritization and payments for environmental services. Land Use Policy. 48:341-350.
Egan, Jennifer M., and Joshua M. Duke. 2015. Water quality conflict resolution and agricultural discharges: Lessons from Waterkeeper v. Hudson. William & Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review 39(3):533-574.
Schilling, Brian J., J. Dixon Esseks, Joshua M. Duke, Paul D. Gottlieb, and Lori Lynch. 2015. The future of preserved farmland: Ownership succession in three mid-Atlantic states. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development. 5(2):129-153.
Gottlieb, Paul D., Brian J. Schilling, Kevin Sullivan, J. Dixon Esseks, Lori Lynch, Joshua M Duke. 2015. Are preserved farms actively engaged in agriculture and conservation? Land Use Policy. 45:103-116.
Fooks, Jacob R., Kent D. Messer, Joshua M. Duke. 2015. Dynamic entry, reverse auctions, and the purchase of ecosystem services. Land Economics 91(1):57-75.
Liu, Zhuo, Jordan F. Suter, Kent D. Messer, Joshua M. Duke, and Holly A. Michael. 2014. Strategic entry and externalities in groundwater resources: Evidence from the lab. Resource and Energy Economics 38:181-197.
Li, Jingyuan, Holly A. Michael, Joshua M. Duke, Kent D. Messer, Jordan F. Suter. 2014. Behavioral response to contamination risk information in a spatially explicit groundwater environment: Experimental evidence. Water Resources Research 50(8):6390–6405.
Duke, Joshua M., Steven J. Dundas, Robert J. Johnston, and Kent D. Messer. 2014. Prioritizing Payment for Environmental Services: Using Nonmarket Benefits for Cost Effective Selection. Ecological Economics 105:319-329.