Mark S. Parcells, Ph.D.
- University of Delaware, PhD (Biological Sciences), 1994
- University of Delaware, BA (Biological Sciences), 1984
- ANFS 435/635, Introduction to Animal Virology
- ANFS/PLSC 467/667, Paradigms in Cell Signaling (with Dr. Jung-Youn Lee)
- UNIV101 – First Year Experience, Global Health Initiatives
- Dr. Parcells studies the function of genes encoded by Marek’s Disease Virus (MDV), a T-lymphoma-inducing herpesvirus of chickens. The projects in his laboratory range from the generation of infectious clones of MDV and Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus (ILTV), the functional interactions of viral and cellular proteins as they relate to MDV infection and pathogenesis, the evolution of MDV virulence, to the development and testing of vaccines for Marek’s disease. Dr. Parcells has a strong interest in tumor immunology and tumor virology and has a current project developing an anti-tumor vaccine for canine hemangiosarcoma.
- University of Delaware, Associate Professor, Biological Sciences, 2009 – present
- University of Delaware, Associate Professor, Animal and Food Sciences,
2004 – present
- University of Arkansas, Associate Professor, Cell and Molecular Biology Program, 2001 – 2004
- University of Arkansas, Associate Professor, Poultry Science, 2001 – 2004
- University of Arkansas, Assistant Professor, Poultry Science, 1996 – 2001
- Editorial Boards – Avian Diseases, Poultry Science
- Member AAAP
Awards and Honors
- Invited Lecture, 8th International Symposium on Marek’s Disease, James
Cook University, Townsville, Australia, 2008
- Josef Marek Award, Lake Balaton, Hungary, 2007
- Keynote Address, Lake Balaton, Hungary, 2007
- Keynote Address, 7th International Symposium on Marek’s Disease
St. Catherine’s College, Oxford University (2004)
- Presidential Citation for Distinguished Alumni, University of Delaware (2004)
- HyLine International Research Award (2002
Lab Personnel and Projects
- Phaedra Tavlarides-Hontz, Research Associate I
- Lab Coordinator and MDV mutation analysis associated with lymphomagenesis
Huimin Dong, MS Student
- Mutations in the MDV Meq Gene and virulence evolution
Syamsundar Gaddamanugu, MS Student
- Generation of an ILTV infectious clone
Upendra Katneni, PhD Student
- Development and testing of a cell-based vaccine for canine hemangiosarcoma
Shireen Shaikh, MS Student
- Mutations in Glycoprotein L and the virulence evolution of MDV
Bradley Rybinski, High School Student
- Localization of MDV Meq proteins within nuclear sub-domains
Kristofer Dewberry, McNair Scholar, Independent Study Student
- Characterization of the pp38 family of gene products
- Prior Lab Personnel
- Dawn Lenihan, Degree with Distinction (UD, 2009)
- Erin McDowell, MS (UD, 2009)
- Pankaj M. Kumar, PhD (UA, 2007)
- Jonathan T. Prigge, PhD (UA, 2004)
- Jeff T. Huynh, MS (UA, 2004)
- Vaithilingaraja Arumugaswami, PhD (UA, 2003)
- Christine E. Shamblin, MS (UA, 2003)
Arumugaswami, V., P. M. Kumar, V. Konjufca, R. L. Dienglewicz, S. M. Reddy and M. S. Parcells. 2009. Latency of Marek’s Disease Virus (MDV) in a Reticuloendotheliosis Virus-Transformed T-cell Line. I: Uptake and Structure of the Latent MDV Genome. Avian Dis. 53:149-155.
Arumugaswami, V., P. M. Kumar, V. Konjufca, R. L. Dienglewicz, S. M. Reddy and M. S. Parcells. 2009. Latency of Marek’s Disease Virus (MDV) in a Reticuloendotheliosis Virus-Transformed T-cell Line. II: Expression of the Latent MDV Genome. Avian Dis. 53:156-165.
McCarthy, F. M., T. J. Mahony, M. S. Parcells, and S. C. Burgess. 2009. Understanding Animal Viruses Using the Gene Ontology and AgBase. Trends in Microbiology, July 2 ePub (ahead of printed article).
Tavlarides-Hontz, P., P. M. Kumar, J. R. Amortegui, N. Osterrieder, and M. S. Parcells. 2009. A deletion within glycoprotein L of Marek’s disease virus (MDV) field isolates correlates with a decrease in bivalent MDV vaccine efficacy in contact-exposed chickens. Avian Dis.53:287-296.
Morgan, R. W., A. Anderson, E. Bernberg, S. Kamboj, E. Huang, G. Lagasse, G. Isaacs, M. Parcells, B.C. Myers, P. J. Green, and J. Burnside. 2008. Sequence Conservation and Differential Expression of Marek’s Disease Virus microRNAs. J. Virol. 82:12213-12220.
Parcells, M.S. and S. C. Burgess. 2008. Immunolgical Aspects of Marek’s Disease Virus (MDV)-Induced Lymphoma Progression. In: Selected Aspects of Cancer Progression: Metastasis, Apoptosis, and Immune Response. H. E. Kaiser, ed., Springer, the Netherlands, p. 169-191.
Anobile, J., V. Arumugaswami, D. Downs, K. Czymmeck, M. S. Parcells and C. J. Schmidt. 2006. Nuclear Localization and Dynamic Properties of the Marek’s Disease Virus Oncogene Products Meq and Meq/vIL8. J. Virool 80:1160-1166.
Trapp, S, Parcells, MS, Kamil, JP, Schumacher, D, Tischer, BK, Kumar, PM, Nair, VK, and Osterrieder, N. 2006. A virus-encoded telomerase RNA promotes malignant T cell lymphomagenesis. J. Exp. Med., 203:1307-1317.
Santin, ER, Shamblin, CE, Prigge, JT, Arumugaswami, V, Dienglewicz, RL, and Parcells, MS. 2006. Examination of the effect of a naturally occurring mutation in glycoprotein L on Marek’s disease virus pathogenesis. Avian Dis., 50:96-103.
Anobile, JM, Arumugaswami, V, Downs, D, Czymmek, K, Parcells, MS, and Schmidt, CJ. 2006. Nuclear localization and dynamic properties of the Marek’s disease virus oncogene products Meq and Meq/vIL8. J. Virol., 80(3):1160-6.
Burgess, SC, Young, JR, Baaten, BJG, Hunt, L, Ross, LNJ, Parcells, MS, Kumar, PM, Tragaskes, CA , Lee, LF, and Davison, TF. 2004. Marek’s disease is a natural model for lymphomas overexpressing Hodgkin’s disease antigen (CD30). PNAS USA 101:13879-13884.
Prigge, J. T., V. Majerciak, H. D. Hunt, R. L. Dienglewicz, and M. S. Parcells. 2004.
Construction And Characterization of Marek’s Disease Viruses (MDVs) Having Green
Fluorescent Protein Expression Tied Directly Or Indirectly To Phosphoprotein 38 (pp38)
Expression. Avian Dis.48:471-487. (Received P.P. Levine Award for Best Paper in Avian Diseases, 2004)
Shamblin, C.E., N. Greene, V. Arumugaswami, R. L. Dienglewicz, and M. S. Parcells. 2004. Comparative Analysis of Marek’s Disease Virus (MDV) Glycoprotein-, Lytic Antigen pp38- and Transformation Antigen Meq-encoding Genes: Association of Meq Mutations with MDVs of High Virulence. Vet. Microbiol. 102:147-167.