The University of Delaware will hold “Beverage Career Choices Day
” on Sept. 15 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Perkins Student Center. Industry professionals will include authorities on the business and crafting of beer, wine, spirits, coffee and other beverages.
“This effort was inspired by the exciting range of beverage careers. Students might not be aware of the diverse career opportunities. The best way for them to understand the industry is to meet professionals across diverse areas and who are at different points in their careers,” explained Professor Pamela Green, who teaches The Science of Wine (PLSC 128).
The format includes short talks, small group sessions, lunch, a discussion on UD course offerings and a networking reception. Advance registration is required
The event is a collaboration between the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics
and the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. The colleges offer a joint minor in beverage management
, which is open to all majors.
The event is not a career fair; it’s an information-gathering and networking opportunity for students. Professionals will discuss their career journeys, offer advice, discuss industry trends and field questions.
Beverage industry professionals will include:
- Brian Hollinger, VP of Operations, Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Inc., Milton, DE
- Justin Sproul, Regional Brewing Manager, Iron Hill Brewery, Wilmington, DE
- Brian Vanderslice, Quality Assurance Manager, Flying Fish Brewing Co., Somerdale, NJ
- Keith Symonds, Head Brewer and Brewing Consultant, Lucky’s 1313 Brew Pub, Madison, WI
Spirits, coffee and other beverages
- Roger Morris, Fulltime freelance writer in wine and food, travel, culture, Wilmington, DE
- Michele Souza, Division Director, Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits, New Castle, DE
- Ryan Frederickson, Founder, ArT Wine Preservation, Chicago, IL
- Kevin Battisfore, National Account Manager, E. & J. Gallo Winery, Minneapolis, MN
- Kristi Bowen, Director of Recruitment, E. & J. Gallo Winery, Tampa, FL
- Michael Rasmussen, Owner, Painted Stave Distilling, Smyrna, DE
- David Mendez, Vice President, WB Law Coffee Company, Newark, NJ
- Katherine Fonte, Sales District Leader, PepsiCo, Philadelphia, PA
- Nicole George, Sales Operations Manager, PepsiCo, Philadelphia, PA
- Jeffrey Cheskin, Co-Founder, Liquid Alchemy Beverages, Wilmington, DE