- Ph.D. Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001
- M.S., Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1998
- B.A.S., Agricultural Engineering Technology, University of Delaware, 1996
- ANFS 451 Emergency Animal Management
- ANFS100 Animals and Human Culture
- Our laboratory areas often deals with what to do when things go from bad to worse in the world of emergency animal management. Just like Ghostbusters, there is an element of “who you gonna call?” For example, during the 2014 – 2015 highly pathogenic avian influenza outbreak, also known as the worst animal health disaster in US history, it was our group who was called for advice. In particular, our areas of expertise include emergency depopulation of poultry, decontamination and disinfection of avian influenza and other disease, emergency animal management, and emergency agricultural remediation. In addition, our research group is involved in many applied projects including alternative lighting technologies for animal housing, agricultural air quality, ammonia scrubbers for poultry houses, instrumentation, applied machine vision and applied controls.
- American Veterinary Medical Association, Panel on Depopulation
- Poultry Science Association
- American Association of Avian Pathologists
- Eric R. Benson, Jaclyn A. Weiher, Robert L. Alphin, Morgan Farnell, and Daniel P. Hougentogler. 2018. Evaluation of Two Compressed Air Foam Depopulation Systems with Caged Layer Hens. Animals 2018, 8(5), 61; https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/8/5/61
- E.R. Benson, R.L. Alphin, and D.P. Hougentogler. 2017. Implementing Water Based Foam Depopulation of Floor Reared Poultry. J. Veterinary Medicine and Research. 4(8): 1104. Submitted 05/30/2017. https://www.jscimedcentral.com/VeterinaryMedicine/veterinarymedicine-4-1104.pdf
- S.M. Morrisey, E.R. Benson, R.L. Alphin, and D.P. Hougentogler. 2017. Compatibility of Dimmers and Alternative Technology Lamps for Commercial Broiler Houses. Journal of Applied Poultry Research. https://academic.oup.com/japr/article/doi/10.3382/japr/pfx029/4056191/Compatibility-of-dimmers-and-alternative?guestAccessKey=58938efd-f2a4-4701-8e00-062aa81234dd
- A.G. Rogers, E.M. Pritchett, R.L. Alphin, E.M. Brannick, and E.R. Benson. 2015. I. Evaluation of the impact of alternative light technology on male broiler chicken growth, feed conversion, and allometric characteristics. Poultry Science. 94:408–414 http://dx.doi.org/10.3382/ps/peu045 A.G. Rogers, E.M. Pritchett, R.L. Alphin, E.M. Brannick, and E.R. Benson. 2015. II. Evaluation of the impact of alternative light technology on male broiler chicken stress. Poultry Science. 94:331–337 http://dx.doi.org/10.3382/ps/peu046
- E. M. Pritchett, A. G. Rogers, M. P. Caputo, E. R. Benson, R. L. Alphin, A. L. Johnson. 2014. Application of the wireless electroencephalogram to measure stress in White Pekin ducks. Research in Veterinary Science. 97(1): 162-168. (Professor) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2014.05.014
- M. K. Rankin, R. L. Alphin, E. R. Benson, A. L. Johnson, D. P. Hougentogler, and P. Mohankumar. 2013. Comparison of Water-Based Foam and Carbon Dioxide Gas Emergency Depopulation Methods of Turkeys. Poultry Science 92 :3144–3148. Doi:10.3382/ps.2013-03341. (as Associate Professor)
- Benson, E.R., D.P. Hougentogler, J. McGurk, E. Herrman, and R.L. Alphin. 2013. Durability of Incandescent, Compact Fluorescent, Cold Cathode, and Light Emitting Diode Lamps in Poultry Conditions. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 29(1):103-111.
- Caputo, M.P., R. L. Alphin, E. M. Pritchett, D. P. Hougentogler, A. L. Johnson, E. R. Benson, and C. Patil. 2013. Evaluation of the diving reflex in response to non-terminal submersion of White Pekin ducks in water-based foam. Poultry Science 2013 92:412-417; doi:10.3382/ps.2012-02513
- Caputo, M. P., E. R. Benson, E. M. Pritchett, D. P. Hougentogler, P. Jain, C. Patil, A. L. Johnson, and R. L. Alphin. 2012. Comparison of water-based foam and carbon dioxide gas mass emergency depopulation of White Pekin Ducks. Poultry Science 91:3057-3064; doi:10.3382/ps.2012-02514.
- Benson, E.R., R.L. Alphin, M.K. Rankin, M.P. Caputo. 2012. Mass Emergency Foam Depopulation of Poultry. Avian Diseases. 56(4s1): 891-896.
- Benson, E.R., R.L. Alphin, M.K. Rankin, M.P. Caputo, and A.L. Johnson. 2012. EEG Based Methodology For Determining Unconsciousness During Depopulation. Avian Diseases. 56(4s1): 884-890.
- Benson, E.R., R.L. Alphin, M.K. Rankin, M.P. Caputo, C.A. Kinney, A.L. Johnson. 2012. Evaluation of EEG Based Determination of Unconsciousness vs. Loss of Posture in Broilers. Research in Veterinary Science. 93(2):960-964. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2011.12.008.
- Alphin, R.L., K.J. Johnson, B.S. Ladman, and E.R. Benson. 2009. Inactivation of Avian Influenza Virus Using Five Common Chemicals and One Detergent.