Education B.S. 1997 Agricultural Product Processing, Zhejiang Agricultural University M.S. 2000 Food Science, Zhejiang University Ph. D. 2005 Food Technology, Clemson University
Teaching ANFS 428/628 (4 cr) Food Chemistry every Fall ANFS 429/629 (4 cr) Food Analysis every Spring
Research My research program has focused on the characterization and application of bioactive phytochemicals. Specifically, my efforts have focused on three areas: 1) enhancing food safety and quality through the novel application of antimicrobials or pulsed light technology, 2) improvement of human and animal health by dietary bioactive compounds, and 3) utilization of bioactive compounds in non-food applications.
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- International Association of Food Protection (IAFP)
Funding Work in our group is, or has been, supported by the following agencies and organizations:
- Agriculture and Food Research Initiative, US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Northeast Sun Grant, US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- National Oceanic/Atmospheric Administration Sea Grant Program
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Center for Produce Safety
- United Soybean Board Soy Health Research Program
Google Scholar publication list here
Refereed Journal Publications
- Xu, W., Wu, C*. (2014) Decontamination of Salmonella enterica Typhimurium on green onions using new formula of sanitizer washing and pulsed UV light (PL). Food Research International 62, 280-285.
- Xu, W., Wu, C*. (2014) Different Efficiency of Ozonated Water Washing to Inactivate Salmonella enterica Typhimurium on Green Onions, Grape Tomatoes, and Green Leaf Journal of Food Science, 79, M378-M383.
- Lu, Y, Joerger,, Wu, C*. (2014) Similar reduction of Salmonella enterica Typhimurium on grape tomatoes and its cross-contamination in wash water by washing with natural antimicrobials as compared with chlorine treatment. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 7, 661-670.
- Dong, X., Sikes, R., Wu, C*. (2013) Combination of low dose of genistein and daidzein has synergistic preventive effects on isogenic human prostate cancer cells when compared with individual soy isoflavone. Food Chemistry, 141, 1923-1933.
- Lu, , Lu, H., Wu, C., Fang, W., Yu, C., Ye, C., Shi, Y., Yu, T., Zheng, X. (2013) Rhodosporidium paludigenum induces resistance and defense-related responses against Penicillium digitatum in citrus fruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 85, 196-202.
- Wang, Y., Landman, B., Wu, C, Gelb, J, Golovan, (2013). Comparison of vRNA and cRNA based reporters for detection of influenza replication. Antiviral Research, 98, 76-84.
- Xu, W., Chen, , Huang, Y., Wu, C.*. (2013) Decontamination of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Green Onions Using Pulsed Light (PL) and PL-Surfactant-Sanitizer Combinations. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 166, 102–108.
- Li Y, Wu, C*. (2013) Enhanced removal of Salmonella Typhimurium from blueberries by combinations of sodium dodecyl sulfate with organic acids or hydrogen peroxide. Food Research International, 54, 1553–1559.
- Dong,, Xu, W., Sikes, R. A. Wu, C*. (2012) Apoptotic Effects of Cooked and in vitro Digested Soy on Human Prostate Cancer Cells. Food Chemistry, 135, 1643-52.
- Neetoo,, Lu, Y., Wu, C., Chen, H. (2012) Use of high hydrostatic pressure to inactivate E. coli O157:H7 and Salmonella enterica internalized within and adhered to pre-harvest contaminated green onion. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 78, 2063-2065.
- Lu,, Wu, C*. (2012) Reductions of Salmonella enterica on chicken breast by thymol, acetic acid, sodium dodecyl sulfate or hydrogen peroxide combinations as compared to chlorine wash. International Journal of Food Microbiology 152, 31-34.
- Lu, Y., Joerger, R., Wu, C*. (2011) Study of the Chemical Composition and Antimicrobial Activities of Ethanolic Extracts from Roots of Scutellaria baicalensis Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59, 10934–10942.
- Lu, , Turley, A., Dong, X., Wu, C*. (2011) Reduction of Salmonella enterica on Grape Tomatoes using Microwave Heating. International Journal of Food Microbiology 145, 349-352.
- Dong,, Dong, M., Turley, A., Lu, Y., Jin, T., Wu, C*. (2011)Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activities of Lignin from Residue of Corn Stover to Ethanol Production. Industrial Crops & Products. 34, 1629-1634.
- Lu,, Wu, C*. (2010). Reduction of Salmonella enterica Contamination on Grape Tomatoes by Washing with Thyme oil, Thymol, and Carvacrol as compared with Chlorine Treatment. Journal of Food Protection, 73, 2270-2275.
- Hoffman-Pennesi, D., Wu, C*. (2010) The Effect of Thymol and Thyme Oil Feed Supplementation on Growth Performance, Serum Antioxidant Levels, and Cecal Salmonella Population in Broil Journal of Applied Poultry Research, 19, 432-443.
- Wu,, Duckett, S., Neel, P. S., Fontenot, J. P., Clapham, W.M. (2008) Influence of Finishing Systems on Hydrophilic and Lipophilic Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) in Beef. Meat Science, 80, 662-667.
- Li,, He Y., Wu, C. (2008) Least Square Support Vector Machine Analysis for the Classification of Paddy Seeds by Harvest Year. Information & Electrical Technologies Division of ASABE, 51, 1793-1799.
- Shao, , He, Y., Wu, C. (2008) Dose Detection of Radiated Rice by Infrared Spectroscopy and Chemometrics. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 56, 3960-3965.
- Li, , He, Y., Wu, C. (2008) Non-destructive Discrimination of the Paddy Seeds of Different Storage Periods based on Vis/NIR Spectroscopy. Journal of Stored Product, 44, 264-268.
- Wu, , Chen, F., Wang, X., Wu, Y., Dong, M., He, G., Galyean, R., He, L., Huang, G. (2007) Identification of Antioxidant Phenolic Compounds in Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) by HPLC-ESI-MS/MS and NMR. Phytochemical Analysis, 18, 401-410.
- Li, , He, Y., Wu, C., Sun, D. (2007) Nondestructive Measurement and Fingerprint Analysis of Soluble Solid Content of Tea Soft Drink based on Vis/NIR Spectroscopy. Food Engineering, 82, 316-323.
- Wu, , Chen, F., Wang, X., Kim, H-J., He, G, Haley-Zitlin, V., Huang, G. (2006) Antioxidant Constituents in Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) Extract and Their Chromatographic Quantification. Food Chemistry, 96, 220-227.
- Wu, C., Chen, , Rushing, J., Wang, X., Kim, H-J., Huang, G., Haley-Zitlin, V., He, G. (2006) Antiproliferative Activities of Parthenolide and Golden Feverfew Extract against Three Human Cancer Cell Lines. Journal of Medicinal Food, 9, 55-61.
- Kim, H-J., Chen, , Wu, C., Wang, X., Chuang, H-Y., Jin, Z. (2004) Evaluation of Antioxidant Activity of Australian Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) Oil and Its Components. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 52, 2849-2854.