- Ph.D. – Botany and Plant Pathology – Michigan State University
- M.S. – Botany – California State Polytechnic University-Pomona
- B.S. – Botany – California State Polytechnic University-Pomona Cum Laude; Outstanding Student in Botany
- PLSC140 – People and Plants: Feast or Famine
- PLSC303 – Introductory Plant Pathology (lecture)
- PLSC800 – Current Topics in Plant Science
- 2007-present – Professor of Botany and Plant Pathology, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Delaware. Applied research on diseases of vegetable crops and virus diseases of all Delaware crops. Currently teach People and Plants: Feast or Famine, Introductory Plant Pathology and have taught Plants of the Ecuador and the Galapagos, Diagnostic Plant Pathology, Plant Virology, Introductory Botany, and Vegetable Science.
- 1995-2006 – Associate Professor of Plant Pathology. Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Delaware
- 1989-1994 – Assistant Professor of Plant Pathology, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Delaware
- 1986-1989 – Research Plant Pathologist, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Delaware
- The emphasis of Dr. Evans’ research is on the identification, etiology, and control of virus and fungal diseases of vegetable and field crops. A major focus of his research is to provide a better understanding of how plants respond to infection at the cellular and molecular level. The main goal of his work is to reduce crop losses through a better understanding of epidemics and the development of resistance. Dr. Evans’ laboratory currently works on the characterization of new races of the pathogen Phytophthora phaseoli, the causal agent of downy mildew of lima bean. Additionally his group is working on the development of resistant cultivars, and is developing a better understanding of the epidemiology of the disease and chemical and cultural methods for its control. A new focus of his program is the evolution and functional genomics of P. phaseoli.
- Fellow, American Phytopathological Society
- Vice-President, International Society of Plant Pathology
- Organizing Chair, International Congress of Plant Pathology 2018 – Boston