Mark J. VanGessel
- Ph.D. – Weed Science – North Carolina State University. Spring 1992
- M.S. – Weed Science – Michigan State University. Spring 1989
- B.A. – Political Science – Hope College, Holland, MI. Spring 1982
- My extension program focuses on developing and disseminating weed control recommendations and other technical information appropriate to agronomic and commercial vegetable crops. Technical information emphasizes weed biology and ecology. Extension responsibilities include assisting with weed management for agronomic crops in New Jersey.
- Research efforts fall into five main areas: weed biology and ecology, integrated pest management, cover crops for weed management, herbicide-resistant weeds, and herbicide evaluation. Research has focused on agronomic and commercial vegetable crops important to the mid-Atlantic region.
- Member, Agronomy Society of America
- Member, Council of Agricultural Science and Technology
- Member, International Weed Science Society
- Member, Northeastern Weed Science Society
- Member, Weed Science Society of America
(Available at: UD Research and Education Center Publications)
2017 Mid-Atlantic Field Crop Weed Management Guide
Mid-Atlantic Commercial Vegetable Production Recommendations
Palmer Amaranth Control in Cropland
Texas Panicum Control in Field Crops and Commercial Vegetables
Evaluating Herbicide Tankmixtures for Liberty-Link Soybeans
Alternative Compounds for Preemergence Weed Control
Management of Herbicide-Resistant Common Ragweed in Soybeans
Control of Problem Weeds in Small Grains
Vollmer, K.M., M.J. VanGessel, Q.R. Johnson, and B.A. Scott. 2017. Relative safety of preemergence corn herbicides applied to coarse-textured soil. Weed Technology, accepted.
VanGessel, M.J., Q.R. Johnson, and B.A. Scott. 2017. Effect of application timing on winter wheat response to metribuzin. Weed Technology, accepted.
Keene, C.L., W.S. Curran, J.M. Wallace, M.R. Ryan, S.B. Mirsky, M.J. VanGessel, and M.E. Barbercheck. 2017. Cover crop termination timing is critical in organic rotational no-till systems. Agronomy Journal 109:272-282.
Soltani, N., J.A. Dille, I.C. Burke, W.J. Everman, M.J. VanGessel, V.M. Davis, and P.H. Sikkema. 2017. Perspectives on potential soybean yield losses from weeds in North America. Weed Technology, accepted
VanGessel, M.J., Q.R. Johnson, and B.A. Scott. 2016. Evaluating postemergence herbicides, safener, and tolerant hybrids for corn response. Weed Technology, 30:869-877.
Soltani, N., J.A. Dille, I.C. Burke, W.J. Everman, M.J. VanGessel, V.M. Davis, and P.H. Sikkema. 2016. Potential corn yield losses due to weeds in North America. Weed Technology, 30:979-984.
Hill, E.C., K.A. Renner, M.J. VanGessel, R.R. Bellinder, and B.A. Scott. 2015. Late-season weed management to stop viable weed seed production. Weed Science 64:12-118.
Meyer, S.L.F., I.A. Zasada, S.M. Ruppercht, M.J. VanGessel, C.R.R. Hooks, M.J. Morra, and K.L. Everts. 2015. Mustard seed meal for management of root-knot nematode and weeds in tomato production. HortTechnology 25:192-202.
Brainard, D., W.C. Curran, R.R. Bellinder, M. Ngouajio, M.J. VanGessel, M.J. Haar, W.T. Lanini, and J.B. Masiunas. 2012. Temperature and relative humidity affect weed response to vinegar and clove oil based herbicides. Weed Technology 27:156-164.
Rousonelos, S.L, R.M. Lee, M.S. Moreira, M.J. VanGessel, and P.J. Tranel. 2012. Characterization of a common ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia) population resistant to ALS- and PPO-inhibiting herbicides. Weed Science 60:335-344.
Scott, B.A., M.J. VanGessel, and S.E. White. 2009. Herbicide-resistant weeds in the United States and their impact on extension. Weed Technology 23:599-603.
VanGessel, M.J., Q.R. Johnson, and B.A. Scott. 2009. Evaluating postemergence herbicides for relative corn safety. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2009-0806-01-RS.
VanGessel, M.J., B.A. Scott, Q.R. Johnson, and S.E. White-Hansen. 2009. Influence of glyphosate-resistant horseweed (Conyza canadensis) growth stage on response to glyphosate applications. Weed Technology 23:49-53.
Dauer, J.J. D.A. Mortensen; E.C. Luschei; S.A. Isard; E. Shields; M.J. VanGessel. 2008. Conyza canadensis seed ascent in the lower atmosphere. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology.
Scott, B.A. and M.J. VanGessel. 2007. Delaware soybean grower survey on glyphosate-resistant horseweed (Conyza canadensis). Weed Technology 21:270-274.
Zelaya, I.A., M.D.K. Owen, and M.J. VanGessel. 2007. Transfer of glyphosate resistance: evidence for hybridization in Conyza (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany 94:660-673.
Dauer, J.T., D.A. Mortensen, and M.J. VanGessel. 2007. Temporal and spatial dynamics of long-distance Conyza canadensis seed dispersal. Journal of Applied Ecology 44:105-114.